Pacified took the Golden Shell Photo: Courtesy of San Sebastian Film Festival
Spanish film The Endless Trench - directed by Aitor Arregi, Jon Garaño and Jose Mari Goenaga - also won a clutch of awards. The story of tells a man who hides from Franco for decades behind a false wall in his father's home, stars Antonio de La Torre and Belén Cuesta and took home the Silver Shells for best script and direction, having already snagged the FIPRESCI critics' prize and Basque film award earlier in the week.
German star Nina Hoss and Spanish actress Greta Fernández won the best actress Silver Shell, ex aqueo, for their roles in Ina Weisse's The Audition and Belén Funes' A Thief's Daughter. Hoss plays and obsessive violin teacher in Weisse's chilly character study, while Fernández stars as a single mum trying to navigate her relationship with her estranged father in Funes' drama.
There was also a Special Jury Prize for Alice Wincour's Proxima and a cinematography Jury Prize for Laura Merians' work on Pacified.
Full list of awards
- Golden Shell Pacificado (Pacified), directed by Paxton Winters
- Special Jury Prize Proxima, directed by Alice Winocour
- Director Aitor Arregi, Jon Garaño and Jose Mari Goenaga, The Endless Trench
- Actress Silver Shell Greta Fernandez and Nina Hoss, for A Thief's Daughter and The Endless Trench respectively (ex aqueo)
- Actor Silver Shell Bukassa Kabengele,
- Cinematography Jury Prize Laura Merians, Pacified
- Screenplay Silver Shell Luiso Berdejo, Jose Mari Goenaga, The Endless Trench
- New Directors Jorge Riquelme Serrano for Algunas Bestias (Some Beasts)
- Horizontes Romina Paula for De Nuevo Otra Vez (Again, Once Again)
- Films in Progress Sin Señas Particulares (Non Distinguishing Features), directed by Fernanda Valadez
- Glocal in Progress Prize Galaktika e Andromedes (Andromeda Galaxy), directed by More Raça
- EFADs-CAACI Europe-Latin America Co-Production Grant La Hija de Todas Las Rabias (Daughter of Rage), directed by Laura Baumeister
- Arte International Prize La Hija de Todas Las Rabias (Daughter of Rage), directed by Laura Baumeister
- Rec Grabaketa-Estudia Post Production Award Sem Dor (Painless), directed by Michael Wahrmann
- FIPRESCI award film]The Endless Trench[/film]