Blitz to close New York Film Festival

Steve McQueen delighted to be back

by Anne-Katrin Titze

Steve McQueen’s Blitz, starring Saoirse Ronan and Elliott Heffernan will be the Closing Night selection of the 62nd New York Film Festival
Steve McQueen’s Blitz, starring Saoirse Ronan and Elliott Heffernan will be the Closing Night selection of the 62nd New York Film Festival

Film at Lincoln Center has announced that Steve McQueen’s Blitz (shot by Yorick Le Saux and with a score by Hans Zimmer), starring Saoirse Ronan and Elliott Heffernan with Harris Dickinson, Benjamin Clementine, Kathy Burke, Paul Weller (of The Jam and Style Council), Stephen Graham, Leigh Gill, Mica Ricketts, CJ Beckford, Alex Jennings, Joshua McGuire, Hayley Squires, Erin Kellyman, and Sally Messham will be the Closing Night selection of the 62nd New York Film Festival.

“It is with immense pride, gratitude, and fondness that I’m able to return to the New York Film Festival with Blitz,” said Steve McQueen. “I’ve been lucky enough to have enjoyed a number of memorable experiences at the festival and with New York audiences, and I’m enormously grateful to have been invited back for Closing Night.”

Steve McQueen's Shame (seen here with Michael Fassbender), 12 Years A Slave, and episodes of his Small Axe series were previously selected for the New York Film Festival
Steve McQueen's Shame (seen here with Michael Fassbender), 12 Years A Slave, and episodes of his Small Axe series were previously selected for the New York Film Festival Photo: Anne Katrin Titze

“Blitz is a vivid and visceral depiction of life during wartime, a meticulous historical account that resonates unmistakably with our current age of endless war,” said Dennis Lim, Artistic Director, New York Film Festival. “We are thrilled to welcome back to the festival Steve McQueen, one of the most daring artists at work today, with one of the greatest achievements of his career.”

Blitz will be making its North American premiere on Thursday, October 10 at Alice Tully Hall.

An Apple Original Film, Blitz will premiere in theaters on Friday, November 1 ahead of its global premiere on Apple TV+ on Friday, November 22.

The Main Slate selection committee is chaired by New York Film Festival Artistic Director Dennis Lim, and includes Florence Almozini, Justin Chang, K Austin Collins, and Rachel Rosen.

The 62nd New York Film Festival runs from Friday, September 27 through Monday, October 14.

Share this with others on...
News

Women who are deadlier than the male Greek gothic noir Sea Of Glass turns the tables on two mainstream classics

The antithesis of a love story Sarah Bolger on working with Abner Pastoll on Frightfest opener Nervous

Coming of age in a conflict zone Skintown director on The Troubles, male friendship and winning the Sean Connery Prize

Behind Dern’s ‘late-life masterpiece’ Northbound director on the ultimate actor’s actor, mortality and a sentimental journey

Hitting the road to find a creative voice Borges And Me director on a literary odd couple, inspiration and coping with midges

Veterans learning new tricks Courtenay and Calder-Marshall on intimacy, trust and the value of friendship in Queen At Sea

More news and features

Interact

Don't forget that you can follow us on YouTube for trailers of festival films and more. You can also find us on Mastodon and Bluesky.


It's a busy time for festivals and here's the latest:



Sarajevo Woody Harrelson awarded Heart of Sarajevo after lively masterclass


EIFF Gets back its mojo


Locarno Isabella Rossellini receives Excellence Award


London Jesse Eisenberg's The Debut to close festival


San Sebastian announces José Giovanni retrospective