Opening film in Cannes Directors’ Fortnight: Birds Of Passage by Cristina Gallego and Ciro Guerra Photo: Cannes Directors’ Fortnight
The seventh and final selection for the Cannes Directors’ Fortnight under the aegis of artistic director Edouard Waintrop, announced today (17 April) shows a strong Latin American presence although France is also to the fore. In total there are 20 features and ten shorts.
French actress Emmanuelle Devos appears in Philippe Faucon’s Amin, part of Cannes Directors’ Fortnight selection. Photo: UniFrance
The Latin American representation revolves around the opening film from Colombia, Pajaros De Verano by Cristina Gallego and Ciro Guerra. Guerra was in the Fortnight in 2015 with El Abrazo De La Serpiente. Others include Comprame Un Revolver by Julio Hernandez Cordon (Mexico), El Motoarrebatador by Agustin Toscano (Argentina), and Los Silencios by Beatriz Seigner (Brazil and Colombia).
The six French films in the mix are Amin by Philippe Faucon, whose Fatima was in the 2015 programme; Les Confins Du Monde by Guillaume Nicloux, who returns to the sidebar 25 years after Faut Pas Rire Du Bonheur was presented in 1994. En liberté! with Adèle Haenel and Pio Marmaï, marks a first foray for Pierre Salvadori. Climax from Gaspar Noé, which receives its world première, is expected to create waves.
Nicolas Cage stars in Mandy, set in the primal wilderness of 1983 where Red Miller, a broken and haunted man, hunts an unhinged religious sect who slaughtered the love of his life. It’s directed by Beyond The Black Rainbow director Panos Cosmatos.
Animation finds expression in two titles: Mirai by Mamoru Hosoda, a director who is considered one of the greats of Japanese animation, and Samouni Road by Stefano Savona.
Chinese director Zhang Ming who has not made a film since 2013, has made the final mix with The Pluto Moment / Ming Wang Xing Shi Ke.
The full line-up comprises:-
- Birds Of Passage / Pajaros De Verano by Cristina Gallego and Ciro Guerra
- Troppa Grazia by Gianni Zanazi
- Amin by Philippe Faucon
- Carmen Y Lola by Arantxa Echevarria
- Climax by Gaspar Noé
- Buy Me A Gun / Cómprame Un Revólver by Julio Hernandez Cordon
- Les Confins Du Monde de Guillaume Nicloux
- The Snatch Thief / El Motoarrebatador by Agustin Toscano
- En Liberté! by Pierre Salvadori
- Treat Me Like Fire / Joueurs by Marie Monge
- Le Monde Est à Toi by Romain Gavras
- Leave No Trace by Debra Granik
- Los Silencios by Beatriz Seigner
- Mandy by Panos Cosmatos
- The Pluto Moment / Ming wang Xing Shi Ke by Zhang Ming
- Mirai (Mirai Ma Petite Soeur) de Mamoru Hosoda
- Petra by Jaime Rosales
- Samouni Road by Stefano Savona
- The Load / Teret by Ognjen Glavonic
- Weldi by Mohamed Ben Attia
- Basses by Félix Imbert
- Ce Magnifique Gâteau! by Emma De Swaef and Marc James Roels
- The Song / La chanson by Tiphaine Raffier
- La Lotta by Marco Bellocchio
- Las Cruces by Nicolas Boone
- The Night Of The Plastic Bags / La Nuit Des Sacs Plastiques by Gabriel Harel
- The Oprhan / O órfão by Carolina Markowicz
- Our Song To War by Juanita Onzaga
- Skip Day by Patrick Bresnan & Ivette Lucas
- The Subject / Le Sujet by Patrick Bouchard